Erasmus Mundus programs are initiated and carried out with the financial support of the European Commission to facilitate the mobility...



Restoration of the former astronomical observatory on Mount Pip Ivan.

Coming to Ukraine to study


All international applicants coming to Ukraine with a purpose of studying shall obtain an “Invitation to study” from the university they are applying to. The invitation shall be in the very same form established by the Ministry of Education.


Students from visa countries and countries with which Ukraine signed an agreement on visa-free period of stay of up 90 days (tourist, private and business travel) shall seek  long-term ("education" type D) visa to Ukraine, which allows to stay in Ukraine longer than 90 days.


Citizens of countries with which Ukraine signed an agreement on visa-free regime (Georgia, Moldova, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan,Russia) do not require a visa to Ukraine, but shall provide an original or photocopy of "Invitation to study" when crossing Ukrainian border as an acknowledgment of their purpose of visit to Ukraine.


All "Invitations to study" issued by universities undergo mandatory registration at the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine before being issued to applicants You can find more information about the procedure here.


Admissions of international students and non-citizens


Admission of international students and non-citizens to Vasyl Stefanyk National University for full-time and part-time programs of study  based on assessment of their documents about previous education.


The required minimum score for admission is set by university independently.


Foreign Ukrainians who received referrals for training of Ukrainian national-cultural societies, for admission to the University have the same rights to education as citizens of Ukraine, with the exceptions established by the Constitution of Ukraine, laws of Ukraine or international treaties ratified by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.


Foreigners who received full secondary education in foreign schools with Ukrainian language, and foreign Ukrainians, whose status is confirmed by the certificate of a foreign Ukrainian, are enrolled to the university within standard quotas through an interview in courses envisaged by Admission rules through recommendations of diplomatic institutions of Ukraine abroad or Ukrainian national and cultural societies.


Foreigners who received full secondary education in foreign schools with the Ukrainian language, and foreign Ukrainians whose status is confirmed by a foreign Ukrainian identity, are required to submit a recommendation of diplomatic institutions of Ukraine abroad, or a recommendation or referral from Ukrainian national and cultural societies ( Copies of birth and education certificates must be translated into Ukrainian with a notary certification).


Entrance examinations for foreign citizens and non-citizens applying for a bachelor program of study on the basis of a high education certificate are interviewed in the Ukrainian language and the majoring field of study.


If a student does not speak any of these languages at a minimum required level, a university can offer to enroll in a preparatory department, upon successful completion of which the student can proceed to main studies.


International students and non-citizens should submit the following documents:


 1) completed Application Form.


 2) a copy of Passport.


 3) a copy of Birth Certificate.


 4) a copy of Education Certificate and transcript(s).


 5) a Medical Certificate.


 6) 4 photos (size 30x40).


Migration requirements to international students


International students during their period of study in Ukraine fall under the requirements of immigration law, observance of which is extremely important!


Important! International students should take the registration procedure at the beginning of each academic year. They should come to International Office of Vasyl Stefanyk University (Administrative building, Room 223) and submit the following documents: Immigration Card,  Passport, 2 pictures (for the 1st year students – 3 pictures) passport size (3х4).


All foreigners coming to Ukraine with the purpose of study shall obtain temporary residence permit from the Migration Service and be registered at the place of their actual residence during study period. For citizens of visa countries migration procedures do not exceed 15 days until visa expiration date (visa validity period is 45 days), for citizens of non-visa countries – up to 75 days from the date of crossing the Ukrainian border.


Migration formalities for international students are usually carried out by  international departments of universities. They would typically request you to provide all the necessary documents and offer to issue migration risk insurance and medical insurance for the period of study.


A temporary residence permit is the document that certifies the identity of a foreigner or a person without citizenship and confirms the legitimiacy of your stay in Ukraine; it shall be presented during migration and other checks.


The permit is usually issued for the entire period of your study, however if you study at the preparatory department the period of validity of your permit is only one year. A university may decide to offer you residence for a period of less than a full period of study (eg. the period of study for Bachelor degree is 4 years, but a university can issue you a permit for one year only with further extension).


When enrolling at the next level of study (Bachelor degree studies after preparatory department or Master’s after Bachelor) or transferring to another university you should be well aware of the residence permit expiry date – the documents for its extension shall be submitted to the Migration Service no later than 15 days before it expires.


If your temporary residence permit expired and it was not renewed on time, you will need to leave Ukraine and get a new visa to enter to continue your studies!


In case you are expelled from a university, this high school has to notify the Migration Service of your termination of study within a 10-day period, and return your permit and cancel registration. You will have 7 days to leave the territory of Ukraine after this.


When transferring to another university be aware of the validity of your temporary residence permit.


It is important to know that the migration legislation of Ukraine does not allow international students to be employed while studying.