Architecturalrestoration project of the astronomical observatory onMountPipIvan (2028m, Chornohora Mountain range, the Carpathians)
Astronomical Observatory on Mount Pip Ivan was commissioned in 1938 as the Warsaw University Observatory. During the Second World War and in the post-war period it was destroyed and as of today only its ruined stone walls remained.
In the early 2005's the Ivano-Frankivsk Regional State Administration and the Regional Council allocated funds for development of the restoration project for the Observatory building (drafted).
On the basis of astronomers’ assessments, VasylStefanykPrecarpathian National University, together with the University of Warsaw, made the decision about reopening of the Observatory as the educational and research center for students from both countries, which would operate in spring and summer.
Furthermore, the observatory buildings would be used as a youth campsite as part of the International Centre for meetings of student youth from Ukraine and from the Republic of Poland. In this context, the “Roadmap of Ukrainian-Polish relations for 2011-2012” was signed during the visit of President of Ukraine to the Republic of Poland on February 3-4, 2011. It included the clause on establishing the International Centre for meetings of student youth from Ukraine and from the Republic of Poland and rebuilding the former astronomical Observatory on Mount Pip Ivan (2028 m). Besides, it is planned that the Scientific Centre for Vegetation Research of the Carpathian National Park and the archaeological expedition will be located in the premises of the Observatory.
It is planned that this project will be financed with the help of funds of Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland and of European research grants aimed at promoting science.